March 25-26, 2019
Holiday Inn Downtown Saskatoon
DETAILED COURSE OUTLINE
1. MOST VALUABLE ROLE OF THE PM
- Traits the best PMs share
- How you as a PM can add value to your Principals
2. PM’S ROLE IN BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
- Why every PM should have a role in business development
- How PMs can cross-sell the firm’s services to grow the business
- How you can use your current job to bring in more work in the future
3. PLANNING THE PROJECT FOR SUCCESS
- When you should begin the project planning process
- What are the 10 critical elements of a good project management plan?
- What are the differences in planning for small vs. large projects?
4. REALISTIC PROJECT SCHEDULING
- Master the 11 elements of a superior schedule
- Common pitfalls to avoid when making a project schedule
- How to develop and implement a more efficient work process
- How good scheduling helps avoid rework and increase profit
5. PROJECT FINANCIAL (AND PROFIT) PLAN
- 4 proven methods to for creating a foolproof project budget
- Inside tips for balancing the project’s scope and fee
- 6 vital steps PMs should use to improve cash flow
6. HOW TO ASSUME PROJECT LEADERSHIP
- 7 steps for assuring staff at critical points of the project
- How to identify and deal with difficult personality types
- How to rise from a Transactional PM to a Transformational PM
- What is the first step in successfully delegating work on my project?
7. MANAGING PROJECTS FOR CLIENT DELIGHT
- Why do clients select different firms?
- How well do you know my client ... and why does it matter?
- Techniques for improving your relationship with your clients?
- How can I become my client’s advisor?
8. MANAGING RISKS TO AVOID GRIEF AND LOSSES
- Why do traditional QA/QC approaches fail?
- 29 dangerous terms you must understand in your A/E contracts
- Pitfalls successful PMs must avoid in sub-consultant negotiations
9. HOW PMs CAN INCREASE PERSONAL PRODUCTIVITY
- Take charges of meetings to ensure you get what you need
- When should you email and when should you pick up the phone?
- Tips for getting the most productivity out of your assistant manager?
10. SECRETS OF MANAGING MULTIPLE PROJECTS
- How many projects can one PM realistically handle?
- Increasing productivity: Keys to managing multiple projects
- Inside tips for managing multiple office deliveries
11. MAINTAINING CONTROL OF THE PROJECT
- Which critical project elements must you obsessively monitor?
- Which 5 critical numbers must you demand from accounting?
- What is the single best way to monitor your project progress?
12. GETTING—AND STAYING—OUT OF TROUBLE
- Best techniques for avoiding problems in the first place?
- What to do if you’re behind schedule or over budget
- What is the proper way to ask a client for additional fees?
13. SELLING SUCCESS: HOW TO WRAP UP YOUR PROJECT
- It isn’t over ‘til it’s over: The right way to complete a project
- How can you turn a complex project into your firm’s next job?